Senior Digital Specialist/Senior User Experience Designer
San Francisco, CA
3 weeks ago
The Online Media (OM) group is a team of creative thinkers and makers that designs, develops, and maintains the Exploratorium website, online experiences, and mobile applications that support the Exploratorium’s mission of igniting curiosity and inspiring creativity in people of all ages. As a member of this team, the Senior User Experience Designer is responsible for the design of new projects and ongoing support for the Exploratorium’s website. Responsibilities include designing and developing educational web resources and web content. The candidate should have strong visual and UX design abilities, advanced web content development skills, and demonstrated proficiency with common web page markup languages. The Senior User Experience Designer position is located in the Online Media group within the Media Studio and reports directly to the Manager of Online Media.
Execution: * Under minimal supervision, design and maintain digital experiences, design resources, and information architecture for our online platforms including websites and mobile applications. * Champion user experience design principles, style guides, and best practices. * Idea generation: Contribute innovative ideas to a team creating diverse digital products and provide active thought leadership in User Experience issues and trends. Generate user stories. Iteration: Gather, interpret, and incorporate feedback from visitors, evaluators, and other staff to improve products. Collaboration: Cooperatively and creatively work with scientists, artists, educators, researchers, writers, graphic designers, user interface developers, web developers, project managers, project directors, and other staff. Documentation: Document project/product development and designs, and create product user guides. Information Architecture: Own the information architecture, task-flow models, state-transition diagrams, storyboarding, wireframing, and creating design specifications and guidelines. Creative problem-solving: Take an active role in addressing complex communication and information design challenges of online media. Flexibility: Adapt to project constraints with proactive solutions; work comfortably and productively on a range of projects including grant-based work, research and development initiatives, institutional communications, marketing, and special exhibitions. Judgment: Show strong creative discernment and good discipline in design and execution. Respond to internal collaborators’ needs while balancing UX considerations. Project Management: Manage complex web projects involving multiple stakeholders. User Testing: plan, facilitate, and report on user testing sessions. Mentorship: Mentor junior UX designers and members of our broader design team Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in conceptual design, interactive multimedia, user experience design, visual arts, another related field, or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 8 years of experience designing websites or applications, preferably in a museum or informal education environment.
- Experience using collaborative design tools like Sketch and/or Figma.
- Demonstrated proficiency in designing web content including web pages and interactives.
- Experience with user-centered design methods.
- Portfolio demonstrating strong proficiency in interaction and visual design.
- Competency with SEO, web audience analytics, and user survey data collection.
- Excellent documentation creation/revision skills.
- Talent for collaboration and effective teamwork, and demonstrated ability to work with people at all levels of an organization.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work on multiple projects and problems simultaneously with minimal supervision.
- Willingness to learn new design practices and tools.
- Experience with dynamic data and interactive visualizations.
- Experience with A/B testing.
- Experience developing digital interactive experiences.
This position is open until filled
HOW TO APPLY
This is a regular, full-time (37.5 hours per week), exempt, union position that includes benefits. This position pays $47.38 - $54.70 per hour. Please, no phone calls in regards to this job. To apply, please visit the Exploratorium job page.
The Exploratorium is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and values diversity, inclusion and respect. We welcome and strongly encourage applicants from all backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.