South San Francisco, California (Hybrid-friendly)
3 weeks ago
Founded in 2020 by MIT and Stanford Engineers and based in Silicon Valley, Empo Health is a seed-funded and NSF-supported startup developing revolutionary in-home health monitoring products.
We’re looking for an experienced industrial designer to join our team and drive product design efforts at Empo Health, playing a critical role in building out our suite of in-home health monitoring products.
Empo Health’s first product is an in-home foot-scanning system that helps doctors and patients monitor for early signs of diabetic foot ulcers, and the team is hard at work preparing the world-class device and associated digital health platform for launch. This is a hands-on role – as our first dedicated designer, you will be leading many critical product design decisions. You will help ideate product concepts, research user interactions and behaviors, prototype products and components both physical and digital, and evaluate and prioritize your learnings to help focus the team’s engineering efforts. In essence, you will be setting the direction of Empo Health’s product experience, as you work in the fast paced environment that comes with an early startup.
As an industrial designer, you’ll be responsible for leading both the interaction and aesthetic design for physical and digital components of Empo Health’s product platform. You will refine and build upon the existing design direction for Empo Health’s first product as it rapidly approaches commercialization, while leading the design process from a blank slate for entirely new products to come. You’ll work with other team members to ensure that the design process for all of our products prioritizes the end user experience, ensuring we are bringing the most seamless products to market. Your work will directly contribute to detecting the diabetic foot ulcers that impact millions of at-risk patients, potentially preventing amputations and saving lives.
In this role you will work closely with the founders and other early team members, and should be comfortable being a critical member of a small team. You should be comfortable breaking high-level directives into tangible tasks and setting your own direction.
If you’re passionate about creating seamless health monitoring devices that have the opportunity to expand access to high quality healthcare, and you want to work with an interdisciplinary team to build that future, then we’d love to hear from you!
- Work with founders and early team members to bring new health monitoring devices to market
- Contribute to and lead design programs from early conception through production, taking responsibility for creative output, schedule, and maintaining design integrity from start to finish
- Conduct research into design trends, consumer segments, and market competitors
- Prototype concepts in a variety of forms, including sketches, renderings, foam/printed/machined models, wireframes, and mockups
- Conduct user research, from open-ended needfinding interviews to focused user interaction explorations, to A/B tests
- Create presentation deliverables (e.g. research summaries, sketches, user scenarios, product rendering, appearance models)
- Analyze all learnings and prioritize concepts in the context of business constraints to maximize returns on development investment
You might be a good fit if you
- Have 5+ years of industry experience with industrial design, from design strategy to concept development to commercialization (a focus on consumer products is a plus)
- Are familiar with mechanical design, materials development, and manufacturing processes
- Are familiar with UI/UX design and prototyping
- Are experienced in hands-on prototyping, without relying solely on virtual design tools
- Have excellent sketching, form development, 2D/3D visualization and modeling, and graphic skills
- Have experience with structured user research techniques, from open ended needfinding to focused interaction evaluations
- Are comfortable and interested in working with purely physical, purely digital, and blended products
- Have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent degree in industrial design or a related field
- Have excellent English verbal and written communication skills
- Are passionate about improving access to high quality healthcare
Even better if you
- Have experience in branding
- Have experience with a variety of product types and form factors
- Have experience with health monitoring devices and/or medical devices
- Have worked on products (physical or digital) for elderly users
- Have worked on weight scales
What we offer
- Hybrid-friendly working environment
- “Take what you need” vacation and sick leave policy
- Generous coverage for medical, dental, vision, and mental wellness plans
- 12 week parental leave + part-time transition period at full pay
- Equity incentive options for early full-time employees
Promoting diversity of backgrounds is extremely important at Empo Health. Although we do our best to list everything we are looking for in a candidate, we may be missing skills and/or attributes that could make you a great fit for the role. If you think you might fit this role but don’t perfectly match the description above, then please still apply! We would hate for both of us to miss out on a great opportunity.